I think I just found the problem! I decided to give the open source ATI
drivers a try again, and replaced 'fglrx' by 'radeon' in my xorg.conf. And
all is fast now. Wow. I had already forgotten how fast a desktop should
be.

I'm not yet sure all is fine. On the first start, kwin crashed and all
windows were on the first desktop, this never happened before. But it's
working on the second login. I have no direct rendering, Xorg.0.log shows
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed (libdri too old). I had
this before with xorg-server-1.7.7, now I'm emerging 1.8.2. Stay tuned.

        Wonko