On Thursday 26 August 2010 01:06:59 Alex Schuster wrote:
> J. Roeleveld writes:
> > Can you post the result of: "ps axu"?
> > This will give an indication which processes are running and using a
> > lot of memory.
>
> The fifth colums gives the memory, right? Should this add up to the total
> of the 'used' column in free -m?
>
> Because it does not:
>
> wo...@weird ~ $ free -m
> Mem:          3452       3117        334          0         39        279
> -/+ buffers/cache:       2798        653
> Swap:         4094       1472       2622
>
> wo...@weird ~ $ total=0; for rss in $( ps aux | grep -v USER | awk '{print
> $6}' ); do (( total += rss )); done; echo $(( total / 1024 ))
> 1984
>
> So, I get a sum of around 2 G with ps, while free -m shows 4.5 G. Whoops?
> Am I missing something here, or does it look like lots of RAM is not being
> freed?
>
>       Wonko

Don't forget the buffers/cache.
The 2.5G you're missing is what is used in the buffers/cache line.

At least, that is how I see it.
Also, I generally look at the percentages used for the memory to find the
memory-hogs.

And your tv-viewer (java) is using quite a bit as well.
Maybe someone with more experience with tv-viewer apps can take a look and
maybe give a few pointers?

--
Joost