On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:14:32PM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Kito wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > My first question would be how to identify ebuilds that respect ${prefix}?
> >
> > A separate profile/keyword seems wrong.
> >
> > ICANINSTALLTO was the best idea presented, but that implies it would be
> > a list of known working prefixes, which seems unrealistic.
>
> What problem was ICANINSTALLTO intended to solve? IIRC, it was discussed
> on -dev in the context of vim plug-ins. Apart from vim plugins, has anyone
> found other problem packages?
>
> I'm wondering, would a constraint to the effect that "certain deps of pkg
> foo must be on the same prefix as foo" suffice for the vim plugin case?
>
> Or maybe that would work better if expressed, "pkg blah can not satisfy a
> dep from any pkg on a different prefix". Such constraints would be
> possible to implement with a new file in the profile (say, package.local).
That gets into more of ciaran's HOME installation target feature.
Current form for global prefix offset is
DOMAIN="root offset" , with offset == prefix offset.

If an ebuild doesn't have DOMAIN="offset", and you're doing a prefix
offset, it's unusable.  No question of "can I use a dep from another
prefix", with prefix offset you're doing the deps full in an offset.

As stated earlier in this mess of a thread, HOME crap is being left to
those who want it, it'll be implemented by those who want it after
global prefix is ironed out (if it is accepted also).
~harring