On 06/01/22 17:47, Mikey wrote:

> > > "Normal" emerges would take -s2 over -r1 or -s1.  The change is
> > > transparent when not in "glsa-only" mode.
> >
> > You didn't understand what I said. If you just play around with the
> > output info you'll miss updates.
>
> How will I miss updates?  "Standard" actions (system world) or myfiles would
> work the exact same as they do now, they just consider a new revbump
> specifier in the digraph calculation.
>
> The "non-standard" action that I am proposing, call it "emerge glsa-only",
> would take the output from emerge -Du world and filter out anything from
> the resulting package list except for -s packages.  I will only "miss"
> updates that are not strictly security related.  If there is no
> security-only related update, i.e. I have to upgrade to the next version,
> glsa-check will report it and I will have to manually update.

The problem with your reasoning is that portage only reports the
"highest" upgrade (from it's point of view). So if you have package
A-1.0 installed and two possible upgrades, say A-1.0-s1 and A-1.1, then
portage will chose the "highest" of the two. So the output from that
command would be:

| These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
|
| Calculating world dependencies ...done!
| [ebuild     U ] the-cat/A-1.1 [1.0] ......

It will not output the following:

| These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
|
| Calculating world dependencies ...done!
| [ebuild     U ] the-cat/A-1.0-s1 [1.0] ......

So you _will_ miss upgrades if you only filter the output of emerge in
your solution and expect to get all security related upgrades relating
to the package you're using.

--
/  Patrick Börjesson