Ryan Hill wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> I'd like to add two warnings to the QA GCC warning message reporter for
> GCC 4.2.
>
> The first is a new warning that is given when GCC makes an optimization
> assuming that overflow for operations on signed ints is undefined, as
> per the standard.  Apparently a lot of code assumes that it will wrap
> instead.  The reason for this warning is the new -fstrict-overflow flag
> that is enabled at >= -O2.  The warning will only appear with the
> -Wstrict-overflow flag set, but it is enabled by -Wall so it will be
> seen pretty often.
>
> The other is actually a warning already present in <=4.1.  4.2 now
> forbids function casts and will actually generate a runtime abort in the
> code if they're used.  This is bad because the code will compile fine
> but then segfault when executed :(.  openssl is a good example (bug
> #158324).  This warning is always reported, even without -Wall.  I hope
> this check will help identify packages that might not be GCC 4.2 ready.

If you expect these warnings to be *fixed* by developers please provide
documentation to enable developers to do so.  SpanKY has some docs in
trunk/doc/ for this express purpose.  As much as I love QA checks I
really don't like forcing them on people (doubly so for a failure mode
check like this) without giving people advice on how to fix them.

Thanks,

-Alec