> On 12/07/2014 07:06 PM, Christoph Junghans wrote:
>> I know, I am late to the party, I just wanted to say that in
>> unpacker.eclass I implemented a variant which uses neither deb2tags
>> nor ar on prefix, but just bash's read and head.

The code uses "head -c" which is a GNU extension:

   $ man 1p head
   HEAD(1P)            POSIX Programmer's Manual            HEAD(1P)
   [...]
   SYNOPSIS
          head [−n number] [file...]
   [...]

For example, on OpenBSD and HPUX there is no -c option, or it is used
differently. Also Busybox doesn't have it.

Are we better off by requiring GNU head instead of GNU ar?

> Very nice. We should borrow that code and use it to eliminate the
> need for deb2targz in portage.

In PMS, this would have to go into EAPI 6, I suppose?

Ulrich