On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 8:32 AM Markus Walter <li...@jonglieren-jena.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2022 14:14:57 +0200,
> Rich Freeman wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 1:37 PM Markus Walter <li...@jonglieren-jena.de>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > My use case is the following: I would like to improve the gs-elpa program
> > > and provide a precomputed overlay for melpa. However the melpa distfiles
> > > are
> > > rebuilt everyday and cause checksum failures. However the only thing
> > > changing are the timestamps. Hence if a normaliser program could simply
> > > set
> > > all timestamps to some predefined value (say 1.1.1970) then this problem
> > > should vanish.
> > >

> > Wouldn't a simpler solution be to just have an ebuild setting that
> > tells the package manager to not check the timestamp?
>
> The timestamps are inside archive files thus changing the overall file
> hash. This happens during distfile download, where some more sophisticated
> replace all timestamps function would be necessary than just ignoring one
> timestamp.

Ah, apologies.  Totally missed that.  Yeah, obviously if the
timestamps INSIDE the archive are changing your only solution is to
edit the contents.  I thought it was just the external timestamp
changing (I'm not sure if portage even checks that, or if wget changes
the mtime on files it downloads).

--
Rich