Andrew Gaffney wrote:
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
aside from that I don't have any "feature requests". For the benefit of folks with slower hardware, you might want to think about installing the binaries of Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird and Evolution on a networkless install from the CD.

All of these packages (except maybe Evolution) are available on the LiveCD for installation as part of a networkless install with the installer. The LiveDVD should have Evolution as well. The installer won't install anything the user doesn't ask for. If you want it, check the box on the Extra Packages screen.

Yes, I know they're on the LiveCD. And if you install them networkless, they install the regular "ebuild", not the "-bin" version. So the next update makes you recompile. On slower machines, OpenOffice, for example, takes a long time to recompile. But if you put "openoffice-bin" on the LiveCD, that wouldn't happen.

Firefox, Evolution, Thunderbird and OpenOffice are packages just about everybody loads, they're packages of significant size taking a fair amount of time to recompile on a "typical 1 GHz" machine, and they have frequent updates. In fact, I only started building OpenOffice from source when I got my dual core Athlon64 X2 5200+ with 4 GB of RAM!

Maybe the dividing line should be CD vs. DVD. Put the "-bin" ones on the LiveCD but put the compiled versions on the LiveDVD, or both, since there's probably room for both on the DVD.