On 29.07.2013 22:38, Matt Turner wrote:
>> The alternative here is the automated testing that I've talked about with
>> others on FOSDEM and Prague last year, but that still needs to be done.
>> Amongst other testing, the idea would be to pick the latest ISO and boot it
>> on some virtualization platform and catch the console output to ensure it
>> booted successfully and not tests failed.
>
> Some recent problems have involved linux-firmware being broken. I
> don't think virtualization will help notice that, e.g., the Tigon 3
> firmware is missing.

Ideally, you'd use virtualization and some concrete physical platforms
in parallel.  For virtualization, KVM Qemu might be quick to get
results, I think I used something like

  -append 'earlyprintk=serial,keep' -serial file:/abs/path/log/file

previously to log the full console output from inside a KVM machine.
That could be the base of a regression test suite.

Best,

Sebastian