On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM, la Bigmac <la_big...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hello list,
>

> Seems to be a few people recently wanting to discuss Gentoo as a server :-)
> so thought I would pose a question that has been bugging me.
>

> What would you guys recommend to manage multiple servers and the package
> versions?
>

> While I have a central emerge server (*rsync)* and sync all of my servers
> to it I still manually update the packages.
>

> Example, openssh how should I be updating openssh on all of my servers
> other than logging onto each one in turn and running emerge openssh.
>

> Should I cron schedule an *emerge* --*update world  *and control the
> repository of packages or is there a more elegant solution?
>

> Regards,
>

> Mat.

You can always use clusterssh to send the same command to all of them.

When I was managing multiple servers, I would have a cron job set to
eix-sync daily (the maximum frequency Gentoo recommends syncing), then once
a week I would have emerge -DNpvu world   e-mailed from cron.  I would then
review the e-mail and see if I wanted to upgrade.  If I didn't, I'd mask the
package version and move on.