Hi,

>> What would you guys recommend to manage multiple servers and the package
>> versions?
Some sort of central deployment (puppet/cfengine/chef).

>> While I have a central emerge server (*rsync)* and sync all of my servers
>> to it I still manually update the packages.

Having a sync mirror is nice, a portage mirror helps too. Don't get
banned on the gentoo rsync mirrors, please don't use them directly. You
might want to keep older, "stable" (by your definition) versions of
rsync and portage, for installing additional servers.

> When I was managing multiple servers, I would have a cron job set to
> eix-sync daily (the maximum frequency Gentoo recommends syncing), then once
> a week I would have emerge -DNpvu world   e-mailed from cron.  I would then
> review the e-mail and see if I wanted to upgrade.  If I didn't, I'd mask the
> package version and move on.

That sounds doable for a few hosts only to me.

Greets,

Craig