on 09/17/2007 10:12 PM Dereck Martin wrote the following:
> I have been running gentoo on a sparc64 since 2004.0 or 2005.0 release.
>  I know it isn't sparc32, but unless you have some dire need to run a
> 2.4 kernel I would suggest running a 2.6 kernel.

Please see my reply to Brant Williams' post.

  Beside that its
> getting increasingly difficult to install gentoo under a 2.4 profile.
> 
> I think we all sometimes forget gentoo is a progressive linux and is
> always changing.  Because of this it is only backward compatible to a
> short period of time in the past, like a year.  Unlike the other
> distributions (red hat/SuSe, etc) where you can install older versions
> this distribution sorta requires you to stay somewhat current with the
> times.  =)

I'm experiencing it first hand ;)

> 
> Not saying it is impossible.  For instance I run a few machines in 2.4
> profile because I use them for an OpenMosix cluster.  That has been
> removed from portage for months now, but I can still install it because
> I copied the 2006.0 profile and all the required files to a portage
> overlay directory so I could still use it even when gentoo stopped
> supporting it.  You may have to do this same technique in order to use
> your 2.4 kernel and stuff,

Good idea. ;)
How should I proceed? I guess it must me quite simple but, I would
appreciate your help.

Aggelos.
-- 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list

Reply via email to