on 09/17/2007 10:12 PM Dereck Martin wrote the following:
> I have been running gentoo on a sparc64 since 2004.0 or 2005.0 release.
>  I know it isn't sparc32, but unless you have some dire need to run a
> 2.4 kernel I would suggest running a 2.6 kernel. 

The kernel size problem is described here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2006.1/handbook-sparc.xml?part=1&chap=7

Quote:

When you're done configuring your kernel, continue with Compiling and
Installing. However, after having compiled the kernel, check its size:

# ls -lh vmlinux
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2.4M Oct 25 14:38 vmlinux

If the (uncompressed) size is bigger than 2.5 MB (for Sparc32) or 3.5 MB
(for Sparc64), reconfigure your kernel until it doesn't exceed these
limits. One way of accomplishing this is by having most kernel drivers
compiled as modules. Ignoring this can lead to a non-booting kernel.

Also, if your kernel is just a tad too big, you can try stripping it
using the strip command:

# strip -R .comment -R .note vmlinux
-- 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list

Reply via email to