On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:38:26 -0500
"brett holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Because of the great portage system releases have no
> meaning for Gentoo except for the CDs.  Install 1.4rc3 and
> then keep up with
>
> emerge synch
> emerge -u system
> emerge -u world
>
> You might want to do -up for each just to see what it will
> update and check it over.
>
> This way you keep up to date and when 1.4 is released you
> are at 1.4 already.
>
> On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 12:48:02 +0100
>   Jose Gonzalez Gomez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >    First of all, thanks to all that have provided advice
> >on how to migrate.
> >
> >    Ok, so I've made up my mind and want to migrate to
> >Gentoo... should
> >Iwait until 1.4 final or does the portage system make
> >irrevelevant the
> >distribution you start with? Is there an expeceted
> >release date for 1.4 final?

With gentoo, there's almost never a good reason to wait, unless you need something
special in the Livecd or something like the latest and greatest XFree.  The latest and
greatest XFree will either provide something you can't live without, or it will
totally cobble your system.  The latter is more likely!

Don't wait.  You can upgrade anything that comes out with 1.4 final when it's ready.

--
Collins