Hello

Recently, I bought one of the above.  Next, I compiled sound support and
emu10k1 support into the kernel and then emerged emu10k1.  This error
message followed.

****
>>> original instance of package unmerged safely.
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o
 * In order for the module to work correctly you must
 * Enable the following options in your kernel:

 * Sound/Sound card support    (module or builtin)
 * Sound/OSS sound modules     (module or builtin)

 * In addition, ensure that the following modules are
 * *not* built in to your kernel, or are at least
 * built as modules are not currently loaded.

 * Sound/Creative SBLive! (EMU10K1)  (disabled or module)
 * Sound/Creative SBLive! MIDI       (disabled or module)

 * If you have not yet done this, rebuild and install
 * your kernel modules and re-emerge this package.
****

So I made basic sound support and emu10k1 modules but left midi out since
it cannot be made into a module.  I also left oss sound modules out as it
didn't seem necessary.  Booting with newly configured kernel I re-emerged
emu10k1 and still got the same error message.

What am I doing wrong?

Much appreciated.
--
Dhruba Bandopadhyay

Quality Control, n.:
The process of testing one out of every 1,000 units coming off a
production line to make sure that at least one out of 100 works.