> I was thinking of installing Gentoo on my maching starting this
> afternoon.  My machine in a PII400 with 512M RAM, ATI All-inWonder
> 128
> video, CD-RW, 48X CD, Iiyama 450.  Would it be realistic if I
> started
> install (my first Gentoo install - currently dual-booting WinXP
> and
> Libranet 2.7) at stage 1 this afternoon, that I could have a
> functioning
> (KDE, email, browser) up and running by tomorrow sometime?  If so,
> I'll
> probably give it a try.
>
> Thanks.

If you need your machine "useable" by tomorrow, but don't want to wait for KDE,
Evolution, Mozilla, etc. to compile, why not first install some lightweight apps, then
go ahead and start using your system while the big boys compile in the background?  If
you were to use fluxbox|openbox|enlightenment as your temporary window manager,
mutt|sylpheed as your temporary email app, and phoenix-bin as your temporary web
browser, I imagine you could be up tomorrow no problem.  Mozilla, KDE, etc. could
compile after that.

Just an idea...

Doug Gorley | [EMAIL PROTECTED]