On 16/6/03 12:14 pm, "Tom Allison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>
>> Yes, and no.  In windows it seems a little nicer because it's a lot
>> better (IMHO) about installing the plugins... you get a prompt saying
>> "hey, install xyz", you click ok, it grinds for a few minutes, goes
>> through an install wizard, and then you go back to the original window
>> and voila! it's there and working.
>>

> Some would consider this a security problem.

Not my mum, tho'.

>> ...  Mac
>> OS/X seems to have it right with running as a user with SU privileges
>> all the time and then popping up a "please enter your user password"
>> whenever a program needs to be installed.  Not running as root, but
>> running close enough to it that you can tasks like installing software
>> much easier. I wish linux was a bit more like this...
>
> First, this is a security item in Linux that you will not easily get around,
> nor should you.
> Second, what you are referring to smells a lot like SUDO only wrapped up in
> something "cute".

This is *exactly* what it is. The "something cute" is just a Cocoa
implementation of the same sort of thing that KDE (ksu?) & Gnome supply.

IMO user privileges is one thing Apple have managed to get very right with
OS X - for home & SOHO installations, the user to install the o/s
automatically has sudo privileges, but directory services (LDAP?) is also
supported out of the box for larger installations. In the former case, all
other users can be granted user-only access & in the latter the sysadmin can
make sensible decisions regarding network policy. This
http://tinyurl.com/ef5b manual would appear to provide quite a decent
overview.

> No, Linux is usable as a browsing platform.  It works fine on so many sites
> that it's really a minority.  Java applications puke.  That's not the fault
> of Java...

I find this story interesting: http://tinyurl.com/ef5u

Stroller.

--
Enjoyed this post? Thanks for reading - please consider employing me!
Technical support / system administration - CV available on request