As a note of interest here: I don't think this is gentoo-specific problem.
I had exactly the same problem with two different versions of Mandrake
too.

Amusingly enough I never had the problem with older versions of Mandrake,
so something must've changed during the last 18 months or so.

(this is on several different machines too, so I don't think hardware
problem likely)

  // Joel