After having resolved the problem when emerge downgraded my glibc from 2.3.2-r1
2.3.1-r4, i did an emerge -u system which upgraded my glibc to 2.3.2-r1 again. Emerge
continued to update packages, but choked on selinux-small-2003040709-r3. I then did an
emerge -up system to see what packages were left to be upgraded, and to my fascination
I notice this line again:

[ebuild    UD] sys-libs/glibc-2.3.1-r4 [2.3.2-r1]

Can anyone tell why emerge wants to downgrade glibc, and what I can do to resolve it?
I don't dare using emerge again in fear of it downgrading glibc again, even if I don't
ask it too.

I've also noticed that all locales are missing or otherwise unavailable; a locale -a
only shows C and POSIX locales. Also, the man page for /usr/bin/locale is missing.

I understand that there must be something wrong with glibc, but if so, why didn't
emerge -u system break while upgrading it? Could a re-emerge of glibc resolve the
problem?

Thanks in advance,
Henrik.