First, try paragraphs!

On Thursday 21 August 2003 13:51, Scott Jones wrote:
> I never really have used cron but lately i have been trying to.  I was
> trying to get it to check my email hourly by putting an entry into the
> cron.hourly directory.  Well suffice to say it did not work.  So i deleted
> the file and

The /etc/cron.[daily,hourly,monthly,weekly] directories are use for system
administrative stuff by convention. However, it should work anyway.

> next i was trying to use crontab from my local user.  I could
> not so after much google searching I made a cron.allow file and added my
> user to it.  This still didnt work.  I added my users name into the cron
> entry in my /etc/groups file.  Still no dice.

To use cron as an unpriveleged user, that user must be in the cron group in
/etc/group. Once that is done, logout and login again to update permissions,
after which you can run "crontab -e" to edit your cron jobs. I think it's
insane, but group membership only seems to be read at logon time. (somebody
please correct me and/or tell me how to make it *always* read /etc/group!)
The format for crontab can be found by running "man 5 crontab".

> Finally i went and modifed
> the privledges onthe executable now i can use crontab as a normal user, but
> after more searching i found that there is a buffer overflow attack which
> can allow a non root user to get root privledges.  I am the only user of my
> system so i am not to worried but i was wondering if someone more
> knowledgeable could tell me if what i am doing is silly.

I haven't touched the permissions on my /usr/bin/crontab or /usr/sbin/cron.
The info you found on the buffer flow overflow should have been tied to
specific version(s). Did you check if the version you have is vulnerable? I
imagine it probably is not. Either way, the default permissions seem fine.

> Should i just
> figure a way to do everything i want to do with cron from root.  I
> personally am leaning toward figuring a way to do it just with root,
> because i figure there is a reason why cron and crontab were installed with
> the permissions they had.  Your feedback is appreciated.

I suggest re-emerging vcron (or whichever cron you're using), confirming you
have correct permissions on /var/spool/cron/crontabs/* or perhaps just
removing the /var/spool/cron directory before re-emerging vcron, and then
using "crontab -e" to edit cron settings. Also, read "man 1 crontab" and 'man
1 cron'.

Regards,
Jason