Hi!

> > The next point I'm eager to try is NPTL. I would like to have the
> > latest
> > version available, namely 0.55 (the v0.28 available with glibc-2.3.2-r1
> > is too buggy for me). For this, I need to install glibc-2.3.2-r3.
> >
> > How should I proceed? From my understanding, a simple emerge glibc
> > won't do the trick, since the current (stable) package version is
> > 2.3.2-r1.
>
> emerge /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/glibc-2.3.2-r3.ebuild

I tried this yesterday already. I get the following error message:

|  !!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-devel/gcc-3.3-r1"
|  have been masked
|
| !!! (dependency required by "sys-libs/glibc-2.3.2-r3" [ebuild])

If I understood correctly, I need to install gcc-3.3-r1 first?
(this is indeed required by nptl v0.55). Is it correct?

My understanding was that emerge would take care about
all dependencies, download eventually the new version required and
compile it... But, it seems that I'm wrong...

I have no problem to resolve all the dependencies manually,
I'm just wondering if there is not a "better way" to proceed...

Oh yes, an other question. What does mean "ebuilds are masked"?
I saw already posts about the "masking/unmasking" thing,
but I don't understand the underlying concept so far...

TIA,
Loic.