On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 12:24, Loic Domaigne wrote:
> Thanks for your reply!
You're welcome. ;)

> Ok, I'm a newbie in Gentoo. Right. I don't know how work the
> ebuild process, and AFAIK there is no document explaining how it
> works in all extend. That's what I'm missing.
The docs section of gentoo.org is huge. Portage docs are there too.

> > > To play with glibc, you MUST be proficient in all-of-the-above,
> > > including portage, compilers, the kernel, patching (you must patch
> > > your 2.6 kernel), etc etc. You've demonstrated that you are not.
>
> A stupid question? How Does someone become proficient?
By starting smaller, like by breaking gnome with the ebuilds from
breakmygentoo. Search the desktop forum.

> Don't you thing that at a given point, he has to give a try?
Not necessarily, but you need to start smaller.

> And make mistakes? And learn from that mistakes?
Don't worry, there are opportunities to make SMALLER mistakes.

> Until he slowly performs better and better. And utimatively
> become "proficient"?
See above.

> Don't you think that "Every Guru was first a beginner"?
I'm a ten year veteran of Linux/BSD/Windows/name your OS, but
spent considerable time playing with gentoo before playing with
glibc ebuilds. How do you expect to recover from a glibc failure?

> (I don't know if you ever learn a foreign language for instance.
> But if you want to master another language, that's definitively
> the way to proceed).
I once knew German. The difference is I didn't kill myself when I
used broken grammar.

> I choose to try Gentoo for 2 reasons:
>
> 1- First, I want to evaluate this distro for business proposes
> (which means among other things, getting a stable OS version etc.)
> So, for this case, yes I definitively agree with you. Actually, I built
> a version using much of the "stable" released offered by Gentoo
> (Ok, I "just" put some optimization flags in the CFLAGS to improve
> the code on the machine I'm running).
Gentoo is great, but YMMV due to your needs being different.

> 2- Second, I want to evaluate Gentoo for "hacker" purposes
> (i.e. my private use). It's clear that I'm willing to try every "dangerous"
> things. I don't see why I shouldn't?
Because we don't want to hold hands with someone doing the hard stuff
before they learn how not to shoot themselves in the foot. If you want
to hack, learn the following:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

my $problem=$ARGV[0];

while (defined($problem)) {
  if (solve_my_own($problem)) {
    print "Yippie!\n";
  } else {
    search_forums_for($problem);
    search_mail_archives_for($problem);
    try_again_to_solve_my_own($problem);
    post_to_forums_about($problem);
    email_list_about($problem);
  }
}

> First I need NPTL to answer the questions related to this implementation
> on c.p.t. Second, I'm bored of LinuxThreads, because I master it
> (as 'simple' user + internal). Third, I have fun in learning new things.
> And forth - I will probably get flammed for this one - Linux is _not_
> the BEST Unix technology available on the market... But, fact is that
> I'm  *LOVING* this OS.
Best is subjective, and subject to ones needs. There are things Linux does
better, etc etc.

> Are you saying that I'm simply just too stupid to use Gentoo and that
> I should switch to RH instead? Which could be, everyone has a
>  limit after all!
I'm saying you haven't exhausted your resources, and you should learn to
walk before yadda yadda...

> Or maybe it's not the right mailing list to discuss such a topic like
> NPTL v0.55 ???
There are forum threads about it. Happy searching.