On Friday, 22 August 2003, at 3:22 am, Spider wrote:

Well, I think I'll take this moment to push a piece of documentation I wrote a while ago:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~spider/local-mail-0.2.1/local-email.html

That looks like a very good HOWTO - I was contemplating the building of mail-server like this: a friend has a small company on ADSL, and each of his employees connect to his ISP's mailserver for email, even when the message is sent from the next desk! This is only a problem when they send big files around the place, but there are other considerations (of accountability & long-term centralised mail storage), too.

It seems like your HOWTO addresses that perfectly, except that you don't mention external delivery, I don't think. I take it messages for "joe" are delivered to local user joe, but for "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" they should be handed to the ISP's server, via SMTP..?

Presumably there are web-based tools for managing fetchmail & whathaveyou..? I'm trying to think what configuration my friend would need to do himself, should a new user or shared IMAP mailbox need adding.

Stroller.