hi

thanks for responding
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom doesn't work. same error

ps aux | grep devfs gives me
root 36 0.0 0.7 1988 952 .... /sbin/devfsd /dev
so, devfs is running...

i've tried reinstalling a couple of times, and enabling a bunch of kernel options.
which kernel options do i need to enable to get cd's to mount?

thanks
redmond

[Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 08:10:24PM +0200]
This one time, at band camp, Kenneth Macdonald Karlsen said:

> Redmond Militante wrote:
> >hi all
> >
> >after installing 1.4 on a black newworld g3 powerbook/400mhz/128mb ram/6
> >gb hdd using livecd-g3-grp-1.4-cd1 iso image burned to a cdrom, i am able
> >to reboot into gentoo successfully, but i am having trouble mounting
> >livecd-ppc-grp-1.4-cd2 disk. i enter 'mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom
> >-o ro -t iso9660', and receive the error msg 'ount: special device
> >/dev/croms/crom0 does not exist'.
> >this is my first install - i've been following the gentoo-ppc installation
> >instructions on this website. i've gone back and tried to recompile extra
> >file system-related features into my kernel. i still receive the error
> >message.
> >any advice would be appreciated
> >thanks
> >

> try "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" if this doesnt sucess then check if
> devfs is running: "ps aux | grep devfs" this will show you where it is
> mounted if running, check if your drivers is loaded for the cdrom, scsi
>  or ide-scsi etc.
> Im no expert but you can try this.
> Kenneth

FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Mon Aug 11 13:00:11 CDT 2003
 2:15PM  up 11 days, 13:59, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

                Gimmie That Old Time Religion
We will follow Zarathustra,             We will worship like the Druids,
Zarathustra like we use to,             Dancing naked in the woods,
I'm a Zarathustra booster,              Drinking strange fermented fluids,
And he's good enough for me!            And it's good enough for me!
        (chorus)                                (chorus)

In the church of Aphrodite,
The priestess wears a see-through nightie,
She's a mighty righteous sightie,
And she's good enough for me!
        (chorus)

CHORUS: Give me that old time religion,