Simon,
   Take a look at this page for making two (or more) cards act as one card
under Alsa.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=TwoCardsAsOne

A warning: You cannot do this and get good sound (in the most general usage
cases) without making both cards run from the same clock source. this
requires that you hook spdif or some other clock source that your 'master'
sound card might have to a sync-able input on the second sound card.

Good luck,
Mark