Hi Mark,
I'm, not an expert with this, but I'll try...

Am Montag, 15. September 2003 18:57 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> Hi,
>    I've never received an answer for these question in the Redhat
> reflectors, and never asked here. Please excuse my ignorance on this
> subject.
>
>    I just did a kernel build of gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r7 by hand (make dep
> clean bzImage modules modules_install & then copy bzImage to /boot by hand)
> and I do not get the System.map, config and vmlinuz files in /boot.
> However, I apparently did a build of 2.4.20-r5 some other way (possibly
> make install?) and these files, plus their links were created.

I think, there is a make bzlilo. Maybe you used this one?

> QUESTION 1: What do these files do, and are they necessary?

Afaik system.map is created and needed by your bootmanager (lilo?). vmlinuz is
your kernel or a symlink to it. I dont know what config could be. I don't
have this file and my machine boots quite good. I use grub now, but I had
lilo installed before.

> QUESTION 2: What is the process to create these files if I want them?

vmlinuz is created by you, when you copy your kernel after compiling with cp
arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz. Maybe make bzlilo does that for you, I
never used this. System.map is created by your bootloader, when you install
it (call /sbin/lilo, setup in grup?).

> QUESTION 3: What is the difference between booting from a vmlinuz file and
> a bzImage file?

There is none. It's just the name of your kernelimage.

> QUESTION 4: Does having these -r5 files impact running -r7 if the -r7
> versions don't exist and the links point to the -r5 versions?

No, if you have a section in the configfile of your bootloader, that starts
the -r7 kernel. Don't forget to call /sbin/lilo, if you use lilo (/boot
mounted). After that there should be a System.map.

> Thanks,
> Mark

Hand
Michael