Thus spake David Friggens on Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 04:57:22PM CDT
> * Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2003-09-15 09:57]:
> >    I just did a kernel build of gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r7 by hand (make dep
> > clean bzImage modules modules_install & then copy bzImage to /boot by hand)
> > and I do not get the System.map, config and vmlinuz files in /boot. However,
>
> > QUESTION 1: What do these files do, and are they necessary?
>
> vmlinux is your kernel. Often necessary. System.map is the symbol map and
> is necessary. bzImage is a compressed file that contains both. (So you use
> it instead of the others.)

bzImage doesn't contain the system symbol map, but the symbol map is
frequently used to translate numeric locations in bzImage into symbol names
for debugging purposes.  System.map isn't required.

The file /usr/src/linux/arch/xxx/boot/bzImage gets copied, usually, to
/boot/vmlinuz when one builds a kernel, so they're the same file, really.
/boot/vmlinuz (if it's the working kernel image) is _always_ required.
bzImage in the kernel build tree is only generated when one builds a kernel,
and can be deleted.

> > QUESTION 2: What is the process to create these files if I want them?
>
> Do `make vmlinux` instead of `make bzImage` - they should be in the
> source root. (They may actually be there after doing make bzImage - have
> a look - but that's what you do if you don't want the compressed image.)

You don't need the uncompressed kernel.  The proper sequence of commands (or
one of them) to create a new kernel is as follows:

cd /usr/src/linux    [assuming this is the base of your kernel source tree]
make menuconfig      [set things the way you want them]
make dep
make clean
make bzImage modules
make modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-whatever

You may need to dicker with your lilo or grub config file to reference your
new kernel, and if you use lilo, you'll need to run it to update the boot
info.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at