On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:24:22 +0200
"Gwendolyn van der Linden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[ rest snipped ]

> I guess the above is true for several other files.  Any file that is
> hard/dangerous to merge automatically should NOT be in portage, but
> provided as an example or template instead.   In some cases one could
> support optional configuration files that are read if they exist (if
> [ -f /etc/blah.local ]; then source /etc/blah.local; ...).
>
> My two Eurocents.

Amen, sister!  Your opinion is worth at leas $.10 US.

A slight variant, very simple to implement, would be to have dangerous files
(fstab, passwd, group, shadow, make.conf, etc.) stored as /etc/fstab.template,
etc., with coded instructions for critical changes.  etc-update could be
modified to look for the specially coded instructions, automatically store the
.template, and to warn you that action is required.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the