Stephen Liu wrote:

I am not quite familiar with rescue on Gentoo. I shall do follows;

1) boot up the Gentoo box with the rescue diskette
2) mount /dev/hda3  /mnt/gentoo
3) mount /dev/hda1  /mnt/gentoo/boot
4) mount t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc

there's a typo: mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc ^
5) chroot /mnt/gentoo  /bin/bash
6) nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab (to edit  'fstab')

change ROOT, BOOT and SWAP with the appropriate devices (/dev/hda3, /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 I assume)

One thing I could not resolve why I can login as ROOT without password. If key in ROOT password then it says wrong password

This could mean that you've also overwritten your /etc/passwd. Is your normal user still in the /etc/passwd? If not, just add it with # useradd and reset your root-password with # passwd

I can't imagine how this can happen without the use of etc-update...

bye, christoph