On Apr 4, 2005 7:29 AM, Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> So distcc sounds perfect for my situation!  I've got three computers,
> counting the new one, connected to each other via a 10 Mbps switch.
> One's my Windows box (P4C 3.0 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 512 MB swap).  The
> Windows box has to stay in Windows XP (SP2) to give all computers
> Internet access (the Wi-Fi adapter is a "Win-NIC").  I've heard there
> are Linux distros that run on top of Windows (or there's always Cygwin);
> would this work?

I assume you have a running gentoo on the windoze box .

I think better solution is to do a stage1 install in chroot on
another, stronger box.
Then tar -cfz all its contents and copy it  to the P200 mmx (cd-rw || network).

I did that with an old laptop P166 mmx 32 RAM and everything worked flawlessly.
The chroot is running on an amd64. Both  the pentium-chroot and my normal gentoo
share the same portage tree (mount -o bind).
It takes up to 300mb of disk storage , I'm keeping it to build upgrades from
time to time as binary packages, then export the whole portage tree thru nfs
(the old piece of crap doesn't even have one).
I mount it thru nfs when it's needed, install new upgrades and
everything is peachy
as pie. Distcc wouldn't help here because it has only 32 MB of RAM :( and would
swap itself to junkyard with things like psi or xorg.

--
Regards
Karol Krzak