I know in the CUPS guide it suggests to push data right to /dev/lp0 (
echo "bla bla bla" > /dev/lp0), did u try this?  I know my printer at
one point would print what I echoed to it, but not through cups.
However don't ask me how I fixed it, I don't remember, and I'm not
sure if I ever did.  CUPS has never cooperated with my computer.

if echo to lp0 works then its probably cups,  and if it doesn't then
something else.