Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 20:51 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:
>

>>Long answer:
>>Sager NP5680...3Ghz P4/w HT, 512k L2 cache, 800Mhz FSB, 1GB RAM, 2
>>Hitachi 60Gb 7200rpm drives, DVD+/-R/RW.  It weighs around 11-12 lbs
>>

>That's a Heavy laptop. Big A$$ too. Since it's a P4 Desktop processor at

Yeah, but it is a lightweight compared to its replacement that I will be
buying late this year:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product.cfm?ProductType=9860

>Definately. And since you're running on 7200rpm Drives, it's way better
>than my 5400. Depending on the location of your drives, don't it becomes
>unbearably hot?? (mine's on the left Wrist pad which makes it ultra hot
>esp after a long backup session)

Similar problem, my drives are under the right wrist.  I definitly
notice a warming sensation during a 2-hour full-system backup.  But it
is not much worse than 5400rpm drives...if you check the manufacturer
specs you will probably find that they consume only slightly more power
and dissipate slightly more heat than most 5400rpm drives.

The only bad thing in the NP5680 is that the two drives are stacked on
top of each other, with no ventilation, so if I don't use my laptop
cooler that blows air on the underside of the laptop, the top drive can
get pretty hot (up to 55C according to hddtemp).  With the cooler there
and running, they never top 50C, and mostly stay around 40C.

It is certainly more comfortable than laying my left hand next to the
laptop though...that is where the CPU exhaust goes, and when the system
is busy, it makes a great coffee warmer!

>I'll have to see how it fares for me. Hope there isn't a big learning
>curve for this.

Well, it can be a lot of work unfortunately, especially if you decide to
encrypt your root filesystem, because then you really need a custom boot
CD (unless someone knows of one that already supports loop-AES?).  But
if you leave root unencrypted, you don't have to worry about your system
just not booting, you might just lose access to your personal files
while you figure out what got messed up.

The biggest risk is that if you lose your encrypted key file, well, your
data is essentially gone.  So make sure you have your key file
(systemkey.gpg in my example) in multiple physical locations, and don't
forget the password (obviously!).

-Richard