inlining...
Oh, If you have sata, I do not speak SATA yet; so in that case my advice might be "deprecated"... J.I.C.!

Tom Moyer wrote:

my dvd drive is only like 2 monthes old.  It is a Memorex Dual Layer
DVD+/- RW I think it is fairly fast.  I guess now I'm just wondering
would it be worth my time to make my gentoo drive my primary master, a
second hard drive the primary slave, the last hard drive the secondary
slave, and the dvd burner the secondary slave.

Dual-layers have been being slower than singles -- I am not sure whether this is still true or not ..

(BTW CD_1x=150KB/sec, DVD_1x=~1350KB/sec.)

I repeat: if the specs on your dvd Data Throughput are rougly as fast as your hdisk, then the two busyest hdisks should be on different channels, otherwise, put the two busyest on the same chanel & the dvd on the other with your slowest hdisk.

Note re dvd speed: I mean the interface's speed, which is NOT necessarily the same as the dvd's 'speed'; check your documentation *carefully* for specs. I my experience it is usually Not in the specs, alas... Thus, presume that your dvd'd interface is probably *much* slower than yourhdisk's.
(Anyone who *knows* that I am wrong, *please* jump in and correct me!)

And with a blazingly fast dvd, it works faster to hdisk if hdisk is on other channel, but unless dvd is *Blazingly* fast, this Will Not matter -- hdisks are much (!!) faster than opticals (unless this has changed in the last 6 months or so). I'd assume it doesn't matter.

Myself, I keep the internal optical as ide1m, any 3rd hdisk as ide1s; if optical is old/slow (currently), this also makes 3rd hdisk a bit slower. This means that my two busyest hdisks are on the same channel & thus slowed down a little bit by this, but for me, I still get better throughput this way. YMMV!

SO: to answer your question about moving things, I doubt it; I *could* be wrong, but I doubt the move is worth-while.

Without the interface-specs on the dvd, that's really the best anyone can say.

Best,
rgh.