So I'm using a 2.6 kernel, and trying to figure out how to cause eth0
and eth1 to swap. That is, eth0 start up as eth1, and eth1 start up as
eth0.

I was told here about the netdev argument to the kernel. I tried about 9
different ways of using this, but the documentation isn't exactly as
clear as it could be.

Info: without swapping:
 eth0: IRQ11, I/O 0xa800
 eth1: IRQ10, I/O 0xa400

I tried all of the following arguments passed to the kernel:

 netdev=11,0xa400,eth0
 netdev=11,0xa400,eth0 netdev=10,0xa800,eth1
 netdev=10,0xa800,eth1 netdev=11,0xa400,eth0
 netdev=10,a800,eth1 netdev=11,a400,eth0
 netdev=eth1,eth0
 netdev="eth1,eth0"
 "netdev=eth1,eth0"
 netdev=eth1,eth0 netdev=eth0,eth1
 netdev=eth0,eth1 netdev=eth1,eth0

Then I got tired of rebooting. Not one did I get them to swap, nor did
the kernel complain about bad options etc.

This is a test system, my actual goal is to swap eth0 and eth1 on a
server. This server has one 32-bit 100Mbps NIC, and one 64-bit 1000Mbps
NIC. I can't constantly reboot that server, so I threw in a second in my
workstation to try and figure this out. I have to have this order for
reasons that are too annoying to get into.

Any more ideas?