Robert S wrote:
> I've just installed a new Dell monitor.  I've set the vert/horiz
> refresh rates using the manufacturers' specs (congrats to Dell for
> making these easily available).
>
> When I get into X I get a refresh rate of 60Hz by default, but I'm
> able to increase this to 87 using the KDE control center.
>
> How do I enable the refresh rate of 87 in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?  There
> doesn't seem to be a refresh rate option there.  Presumably I'd only
> get the rate of 87Hz for users who have it set up in their KDE
> settings and it wouldn't be available with other window managers.

RTFM.

Namely, man xorg.conf,

this part ( Monitor section ) in particular:

       VertRefresh  vertrefresh-range
              gives  the range(s) of vertical refresh frequencies supported by
              the monitor.  vertrefresh-range may be a comma separated list of
              either  discrete  values or ranges of values.  A range of values
              is two values separated by a dash.  By default the values are in
              units  of Hz.  They may be specified in MHz or kHz if MHz or kHz
              is added to the end of the line.  The data given here is used by
              the Xorg server to determine if video modes are within the spec-
              ifications of the monitor.  This information should be available
              in  the monitor's handbook.  If this entry is omitted, a default
              range of 43-72Hz is used.

--
[Name      ]   ::  [Matan I. Peled    ]
[Location  ]   ::  [Israel            ]