Pere Gentoo wrote:

>>These are the USE-switches available to customize this package.
>>
>>[ebuild   R   ] net-misc/unison-2.12.2  -doc +gtk +gtk2 0 kB
>>
>>Here, unison gets built with gtk and gtk2 support, but without
>>documentation.
>>

>Then how to specify I would like the documentation too. Adding the USE
>flag on make.conf? or as an optional parameter on emerge?

If you add a USE-flag to make.conf, it will be used for all future emerges.
To change a USE-flag for a single package, you can do one of the following:

enable documentation for unison:
# echo "net-misc/unison doc" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

enable documentation only for version 2.12.2 of unison:
# echo "=net-misc/unison-2.12.2 doc" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

>If I leave make.conf with no one USE flag, then each package will
>install with its default flags, isn't it? Would this be a good idea
>for a begginer?

It would work, but you should optimize your USE-flags to your system.
E.g. if you use kde and don't want gnome, add "-gnome" to your make.conf.

>Would be easy to go inside Gentoo with an active list like this. I think, no?

It helps a lot ;-)

You should also have a look at the beautiful documentation on
gentoo.org. An Introduction into USE-flags can be found at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2

Christoph

--
echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" [EMAIL PROTECTED]