Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:

>darren kirby wrote:
>

>>quoth the Allan Spagnol Comar:

>>>My question is if I build a system, like installing software and I do
>>>not have setted any USE flags this will change the software, like I
>>>emerge anjuta ( Development IDE for Gnome ) without gtk or gnome Flags
>>>will make any diference ? If will make diference, how do I know what
>>>flags each package need.
>>>
>>>Sory the poor english, but this are my doubts.
>>>
>>>Thank you. Allan
>>>

>>Adding '-v' to your emerge commands will provide a list of what use flags
>>each
>>package can use, and how your currently set use flags relate to that.
>>
>>$ equery uses packagename
>>
>>will also display this info, as well as a brief description of what the flag
>>does. Sometimes though, these sentences are not too descriptive. In any
>>event, the surefire way to see what a use flag is doing is to look at the
>>ebuild script.
>>
>>-d
>>

>this is helping a lot. Thank you.

Hi,
Just to add some info, IMHO even when not using any USE-flags there are
some default flags (see them in
/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/make.defaults file) and when you
put some USE-flags in /etc/make.conf they are merged/override these
default USE-flags and then the result is used.
Somebody correct if something wrong here. Using cascading-profiles.
HTH. Rumen