Add yourself to the wheel group, and then you'll be able to su to root.

Greetz
Peter

On 5/9/05, Drew Tomlinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've followed the directions in the handbook and installed from a
Knoppix boot.  I've made it all the way to section 10.d (reboot).
However upon reboot, I'm presented with a login prompt.  I log in as
root and enter the password I set in section 8.c but it tells me 'login
incorrect'.  I boot Knoppix again, perform the required steps and enter
my chroot environment.  I repeat section 8.c and reset the password.  I
also move ahead to section 11 and create a user account for myself,
passing along '-G wheel', so I can su if necessary.  I reboot again back
to Gentoo but get the same problem when logging on as root.  I can log
on with the new user account I've created but 'su' does not work (can't
setguid), probably due to the same password issue I have when logging on
as root.

Any idea?  I'm almost there.

Thanks,

Drew