On 5/8/2005 5:29 PM Drew Tomlinson wrote:

On 5/8/2005 4:42 PM Drew Tomlinson wrote:

On 5/8/2005 4:20 PM Mike Williams wrote:

On Monday 09 May 2005 00:09, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

I thought I did that with the '-G wheel' option I passed to useradd. I
also think that if I'm not part of the wheel group, I wouldn't even have
the opportunity to enter a password after doing 'su'. How can I check
to be sure I'm part of the wheel group?

You will still get asked.
id

OK, thanks. I have confirmed that I'm part of the 'wheel' group with both the 'id' and 'groups' command, thus my problems must be from not setting the initial root password properly. So any ideas on what I'm missing setting the root password in 8.c of the handbook? From the chrooted environment as 'root' I issued 'passwd' and then typed in my new password. I have also tried 'passwd root' with the same effect. Do I need to do something different since I booted with Knoppix?

One more update. I found out how to boot in single user mode by adding 'single' to the end of the kernel line in grub. Booted to single user mode and issued 'passwd' command from there. It still doesn't work. My session goes like this:

sh-2.05b# passwd
New UNIX password:
BAD PASSWORD:  it is based on a dictionary word.
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd:  password updated successfully

I get the 'BAD PASSWORD' message no matter what password I use. I tried this one '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' which I'm sure is not in the dictionary but still got that message. I don't know if that provides any clues or not.
To test the various new passwords, I used this string of commands after each attempt to set root's password:

sh-2.05b# su <user>
su(pam_unix)[1911]:  session opened for user <user> by (uid=0)
bash-2.05b$ su
Password:
setgid: Operation not permitted
bash-2.05b$

I repeated to two scenarios above with several different passwords. All attempts failed. So I have a bright shiny new system that I'd just love to be able to get in to. :) Any suggestions?

OK, I've done some more reading and found that the reason I couldn't use 'su' as myself was because /bin/su didn't have the setuid bit set. So in all my fooling around, I have file ownership and modes screwed up from the default. What user:group should own all (or most) of the files after a install? What files should be setuid? Is there a list somewhere? Or will some incantation of 'emerge' fix all of this for me?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse