On 5/11/05, Drew Tomlinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm a brand new Gentoo user.  This is my first Linux distro but I do
> have experience with FreeBSD so I'm not brand new to *nix.  :)
>
> Anyway, how can I get newer versions of software from portage?

In general you'd do

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv mythtv

to get something newer. However I do not recommend you do this unless
it is emerging just a single package. By using ~x86 this way it will
also give you the testing versions of everything else it needs to
update or install for the first time.

You can also place a ~x86 in your /etc/portage/package.keywords file
to relieve you of having to do htis every time you update the package.

man emerge

for more info.

Good luck,
Mark