On 5/11/2005 5:36 PM Mark Knecht wrote:

On 5/11/05, Drew Tomlinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm a brand new Gentoo user.  This is my first Linux distro but I do
have experience with FreeBSD so I'm not brand new to *nix.  :)

Anyway, how can I get newer versions of software from portage?

In general you'd do

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv mythtv

to get something newer. However I do not recommend you do this unless
it is emerging just a single package. By using ~x86 this way it will
also give you the testing versions of everything else it needs to
update or install for the first time.

You can also place a ~x86 in your /etc/portage/package.keywords file
to relieve you of having to do htis every time you update the package.

Thanks for your reply. You pointed me in the right direction and I did a little more reading. Please know that according to this post:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1060314#1060314

the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS way of doing it is no longer recommended.

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse