Title: SATA Boot problem-please help

grub.conf-

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r8
root (hd1,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=8192 vga=0x318 splash=verbose udev
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r8

title=Windows XP Professional
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I have installed Gentoo to a dual had drive system

/dev/hda1 --> Windows XP Professional

/dev/sda --> Gentoo Install
/dev/sda1 - /boot
/dev/sda3 - /
/dev/sda5 - /usr
/dev/sda6 - /var
/dev/sda7 - /tmp
/dev/sda8 - /home

The liveCD boots and runs.

when I try to boot the system from grub to the gentoo selection I get

>> Mounting Filesystems...
>> Activating udev
>> Determining Root device
>> The root block Device is unspecified or not detected. Please specify a device to boot or "shell" for a shell.

The SDA Device is a Maxtor SATA Drive, I think it's not loading ata_piix which the live CD loads. Is this a module or built into the kernel?

I recomplied the kernel so that the Intel PiiX driver was complied in the kernel not as a module.

It's got a lot of STA messages und
I did used genkernel to create my kernel.