If sounds to me like he made it clear that they HAD to login to use a
c++ script.  Probably something he built himself to manage data or
something.

The quickest, easiest way is to just use chroot jails.  They are fairly
secure out of the box and chroot is a widely accepted method for
securing untrusted clients/servers (such as postfix for example).  Just
put only what they need in the chroot enviornment and you should be ok.

As for monitoring, there is always the bash_history file.  You can also
install a shell monitor that allows the root user to view a shell in
realtime.  You can also use the watch command to watch the who list.
It's primitive but can be useful.  You can also use syslog to do some
extra logging similiar to that if bash_history.