On Fri, 20 May 2005, Emanuele Morozzi wrote:

> Gentoo si installed in /dev/hda.
> The Raid is a striping raid composed of /dev/sda /dev/sdb and consists
> of 4 partitions. I created it installing windows (work reason).
> The SATA controller is a Silicon 3512.
>
> Before, with devfs, I used dmraid to create
> dev/mapper/sil<something>{1,2,3,4} and mounted direclty using this
> devices. I had to remove dmraid eBuild from /usr/local/portage (or
> something like that) because it blocked the "emerge -uD world", and the
> devices now are disappeared (i.e. using dmraid the devices are not
> created). I need to create them manually but I have not found the right
> way to do it.
> I someone knows how to create this devices, please tell me.

The "normal" way to make (software) RAID devices is to use mkraid or
mdadm.

*  sys-fs/mdadm
      Latest version available: 1.9.0-r1
      Latest version installed: 1.9.0-r1
      Size of downloaded files: 92 kB
      Homepage:    http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/mdadm
replacement for the raidtools
      License:     GPL-2

*  sys-fs/raidtools
      Latest version available: 1.00.3-r4
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 163 kB
      Homepage:    http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raidtools/
      License:     GPL-2

You should also check that you have md support in your kernel (or if its a
module, use "modprobe md" and "modprobe raidX" (where X is your RAID level
- if you dont know what RAID level means I suggest you read the RAID HOWTO
at tldp.org).