> I just got set up with SkypeOut and that thing is awesome.
>  I'm not using the kde or enlightenment sound daemons.

http://www.skype.com/help/faq/linux.html

»What sound system does Skype for Linux beta use?
Skype for Linux beta uses OSS (Open Sound System),
using /dev/dsp as its audio input and output device. It works
fine also with ALSA and its OSS emulation layer. Native
support for other sound systems will be added in the future.«

This means:

* No sounddemon gets used
* ALSA doesn't get used (directly)
* OSS gets used
* But if you have ALSA installed it will work via the ALSA OSS
emulation
* If your card doesn't support hardware mixing (most consumer
cards do not) only one application or soundserver can run on
the card. If Skype blocks the card, you cannot use any other
audio application
* EVen with DMIX (ALSA software mixing plugin) it will be
difficult because DMIX cannot handle transparently OSS
requesting apps

Best regards

    ce