On 6/13/05, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Colin wrote:

> >>Well, I didn't expect to find any 'dice' here.....maybe some error
> >>output or at least a better description (command failed, same reboot
> >>problem, ...?) ;->
> >>

> >No dice = no luck.  It's not a very common phrase, at least not where I live.
> >

> Actually, I got the reference...I was just being a bit condescending
> about the lack of information in that phrase.  Forgive me.

No problem.  Besides, a lot of people on this list don't have English
as their first language.  It's good to point out idioms anyway.

> >Anyway, the same problem is still here.  When the BIOS gives GRUB
> >control, it shows a message that it's loading stage 1.5.  And then,
> >almost instantly, the system reboots.  I don't know if stage 1.5 loads
> >or not.  I don't suppose there's a way to recompile it to show
> >debugging output?
>
> Well, the "loading stage 1.5" message comes *from* the stage 1.5, and I
> think it is pretty much impossible for that to fail to load since it is
> embedded in the space between the MBR and the first partition and block
> mapped.
>
> More likely is that grub gets confused trying to talk to the RAID BIOS,
> and either cannot decipher the ext2 filesystem to find the stage2, or
> loads what it thinks is the stage2 but turns out to be garbage that
> causes the reboot.
>
> One remaining possiblity here: try renaming /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 to
> e2fs_stage1_5.sav.  Then run:
>
> # grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> quit
>
> The setup command should show '"e2fs_stage1_5" exists...no'.  But the
> install command should still show "succeeded" at the end.  If that all
> looks good, try rebooting.

It worked!  One would think stage1.5 would be an integral step between
1 and 2, but apparently now.  Gentoo works!  (And Windows does too...)
 I got a lot of errors while booting Gentoo, so I've still got a few
bugs to work out.  Thanks, guys.
--
Colin