Colin wrote:

> Two commands inside a GRUB shell doesn't sound too bad.  Still, I
> think I should work on getting that stage1.5 file working.
>
> Do you think the file might have been damaged somehow?  Maybe it just
> didn't like my CFLAGS?

Well, the grub ebuild ignores (unsets, actually) whatever CFLAGS you
have, so those cannot have any impact.

That said, what version of grub are you using now?  I ask because I see
a note about adding support for ATARAID in v0.95.

If you already have 0.96 (the current version available in portage), or
if upgrading to that doesn't resolve the problem, I certainly encourage
trying the CVS version of grub, and filing a bug report at
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group_id=68 if that still has the same
problem.

You might be asked to build/run a debug version (I think this is done
with the --maintainer-mode option to ./configure), and report any
output, although that might be difficult if it still reboots on you!

-Richard