Antoine wrote:
> Hi,
> Our company is going to be bidding for a contract that will require
> about 45 lan connections (08:00 to 20:00) and a few web connections to
> an Oracle database.
> The contract states that we can only have 1 hr max downtime per month
> (pretty generous really, I thought) and the boss, his head in dark and
> nether regions, is, of course, looking at winders servers.
> I must admit, I have no knowledge in this area, except that Windows is
> not the best choice for high availability! Or is it? Seeing as it pretty
> much only has to run Oracle, what would people suggest? Linux (and if
> Linux - Redhat, Suse, Gentoo,...)? BSD? Or would it definitely be worth
> the dolleros to go for an AIX or Solaris + Hardware solution? Or is he
> right in thinking that Server 2003 is best?
> We would obviously not be able to spend massive amounts, so a $30000+
> solution is not on the cards...
> Cheers
> Antoine
> ps. we have only x86 servers at the moment mostly running server 2000 or
> 2003, but the admin would rather be running linux...

We run Oracle 10g RAC and Grid quite successfully on about 12 RedHat
Enterprise Servers.  We chose RedHat mainly because it's the only Linux
distro that Oracle will support, as far as I know.  I've heard of people
getting Oracle to install and run on Gentoo but I imagine it requires a
bit of tweaking/hacking not to mention that you won't get any support
from Oracle when something breaks.  The servers themselves are Dell
PowerEdge 2850's, not insane powerhouses but quite robust.

Byron