maxim wexler wrote:

>> Is /etc/make.profile correct? It should be symbolic
>> link to
>> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0
>

> It is but it links to 2004.3, which is what I used on
> the k6. The sempron uses 2005.0

If the directory /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0 exists,
you can change the symlink to point to that, run emerge --sync, and that
should get your portage tree up to date on the k6.

>> at that grub prompt (the one you get from booting):
>>

> But it's a dead console. The caps lock key and the num
> lock key turn the leds on and off but typing letters
> does nothing.

I've been trying to come up with a reasonable explanation for this
behavior.  Assuming that you can enter the BIOS setup screens with this
keyboard, I have no answer to why this wouldn't work.

Is this a USB keyboard by chance?  If so, can you try a PS/2 keyboard
and see if you get different results?

-Richard