Hello,

I want to be able to shut down my computer just by either typing halt,
or pressing the on/off switch on my computer.

I have enabled acpi, enabled acpid, and so the halt button indeed shuts
down the computer. However when I have some programs like mozilla and
mythfrontend open in gnome when I shut down, the next time I boot I get
several mythfrontends, a mozilla and several profile managers.

Why is this, and can I avoid it?

with kde I don't have this problem, but I can't get normal-sized fonts
there (too small) so I gave up on kde for a while.

Kind regards,

Henk,